ALSO PLEASE NOTE: you can have more than 5000 files/documents in a SharePoint document library but adding more than 5000 files into the library and things start to break. Examples:
- Search will not work properly; and,
- Microsoft Graph API will struggle to work at all
Folders also count toward this 5000 number. So for example, different sections in a OneNote document will be counted as each OneNote section is a separate file.
So when Microsoft claim you can put 30 Million files in a document library, while you can, you probably don’t want to.
Yes you could navigate around amongst the 30 million files using SharePoint online, but you could not use “Search” to find a file you were looking for.
LINK: How to Resolve the SharePoint 5,000 Item Limit Threshold.
If you try to drag/drop new files into the folder then an error appears:
If you try to create a new folder then an error appears:
Finally, you are not able to create a new file or folder when it reaches the character limit when you sync the library in windows explorer:
TIPS FOR ONEDRIVE SETUP WITH SHAREPOINT
1. Make sure Windows 10 is version 1803 or later
2. Sign out of the OneDrive sync app to disconnect all previous links/syncs
3. Uninstall OneDrive
4. Install OneDrive using this installer: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=248256
5. Once the local client software is installed you will have to sign in to the software once as the person’s email and password but don’t setup any new syncs yet.
6. Turn on the Files on Demand feature in the first tab of the local app settings. This part is critical.
7. Make sure the OneDrive version is at least 18.111.0603 in the add/remove programs window. If the version is incorrect then fix this right away otherwise all the ‘Folders on-demand’ features won’t work